Building bridges

Writing (or creating anything, really) isn't about achievement. It's about connection. It's a hand reaching out, a bridge, an invitation

Shauna Niequist


We recently took a trip as a family. It was an opportunity to hang out with some people we wanted to get to know better and also have some much needed fun, family time.
During one of our breaks, we went for a walk to explore the area and look at a bridge that claimed to be the longest bridge built by a single person.

I have had a deep fascination regarding bridges since childhood and I guess if you would have asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, it would be someone who built bridges. I know now that the technical term is civil engineer, but really I am still only interested in those bridges.

So we set off to see a bridge. Along the way we rescued a tiny snake from certain death on a road*, saw a road kill rabbit, encountered some other critters my children were interested in and picked up loads of trash ... "because Mommy, the people who left this here are lazy and the poor animals don't want to live in all this rubbish".

We only had vague directions to the bridge and no idea what to expect. But honestly, I wasn't expecting that! A bridge, built over the course of three years, by one person, 7 meters wide and 13 high. (Sorry if the technical data isn't very technical ... I was too busy being impressed to really take note! For example, the length of the bridge? ... No idea) Unbelievable, incredible and utterly amazing. The dedication of one person, to connecting two bits of road either side of a stream, blew my mind. And I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

Downstream view. I included a person to show scale!
Upstream, with 4 little people to show scale
I could't think of a more beautiful spot to create something which has as its core purpose connection!


I wonder what was important enough to that spot that made him build it there, when there were other places to cross the stream? And did he not ask for help or did no one offer assistance? What was his frame of mind as he toiled on ... was he joyous at the connection he was creating, frustrated by the slow progress, proud of his achievement, excited about the future possibilities?

And it has led me to think of the opportunities I have daily, to work hard, not necessarily alone, to create connections and work towards greater freedom for myself and those around me. Am I using those opportunities well and wisely? Do I invite people into my inner world, offering connection and a sense of "we are in this together"?

I often wonder what I can do in this season of being home with our children, that will be exactly this kind of reaching out, inviting, bridge building. (Beyond the obvious, delightful time I spend doing all of that with my children and husband!) This sharing of the riches deposited in me. The very ordinary seeming to me, but extraordinarily valuable to someone else. And I think that writing, blogging and creating might just be the answer. 

So at this new beginning, I invite you to join me. Enter into my inner world. Let us discover the extraordinary in the everyday ordinary lives we live.

* Tiny snake didn't survive his ordeal in the hot sun ... and maybe he had been hit by a car before we spotted him. He was mourned by our youngest daughter with hot, salty tears streaming down her face as her tiny shoulders shook while she sobbed. She constructed a wooden cross later and planted it in his memory, this unknown creature that moved her so deeply. And she presented me with an opportunity to build another connection to her beautiful, fragile heart as I cared for her in this grief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home

Looking back

Celebrating my sleeve